Wednesday 17 October 2012

October Flash - Day 16


The Flash Fiction Project at Google+ has something new going on!   There will be a visual prompt for every day in October, and I'm going to try to write a (very) short piece for it every day as well. Due to time zone differences, I'll try writing and posting mine early in the morning, so it's a day after the original post for me, but still the same for them.

Let the fun begin! Here is the prompt for today:





Daniel paced up and down the room, his fingers in an agitated knot. They'd only been dating for two months, maybe it was too early... Maybe he should ask someone else, but he didn't want to. He wanted Chris. If he got it wrong, though...
The doorbell startled him out of this train of thoughts. Now it was too late for doubts.
"Hey gorgeous." Chris greeted him with a deep kiss. "What was so urgent I had to leave work early for?"
"Well, I..." Daniel hesitated. It really was too early, but what else could he say? He wasn't good at improvising.
"Yes...?"
"You, well. I won this trip, y'see? For two people? In the Caribbean, one week. Only it's already in two weeks and there's so much to–"
"Wait, wait, wait. You want my to come with you?"
"Um, yes... Fly away with me?"
"But we've only been dating for two months. Don't you think it's too early? I'm sorry, honey, but I think I have to decline. Thanks for thinking of me, though."

One year later...
"Good morning, sunshine!" Daniel grinned into Chris' sleepy face. "Wake up, I made coffee!"
"Ugh, it's too early for a Sunday, Dan!" He turned around and tried to go back to sleep.
"No, no, no, it's time t get up!"
"Oh, really! Why?"
"Come on, I'll show you." He took his hand and dragged him out of bed, over to the window. Outside on the streets where hot-air balloons.
Chris tried to wake up enough to process this. It didn't work.
"What's going on?"
"Exactly one year ago, I asked you to fly away with me, but you said no. Will you change your mind now?"
Chris hesitated. "Can I choose the colour of the balloon?" He imitated Dan's grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment