Monday 22 October 2012

October Flash - Day 21


The Flash Fiction Project at Google+ has something new going on! There will be a visual prompt for every day in October, and I'm going to try to write a (very) short piece for it every day as well. Due to time zone differences, I'll try writing and posting mine early in the morning, so it's a day after the original post for me, but still the same for them.

Let the fun begin! Here is the prompt for today:





"Well, you can't say I didn't warn you."
"Oh, don't be ridiculous. You could never have known this would happen."
Clive rolled his eyes. "Of course not, that's why I warned you, right?"
"Hey, you think I need sarcasm right now?!" Rick's voice was louder than intended. "I'm sorry, Clive, but really...? You knew this would happen?"
Clive nodded. "There are rules. I warned you because you are new, even though I suspected you'd just laugh at me. And you did."
"You can't expect me to believe... I mean... What the hell?!"
"You know it happens all the time."
"Yeah, in movies!"
"People think it's true."
"And that makes it true?" Rick shook his head.
"Yes! It does indeed, as you should well know now. You've seen it with your own eyes."
"I just misjudged the distance..."
"You didn't do anything like that," said Clive, exasperated. "It wasn't your fault, well, except in that you chose that route despite my warning. Steeples are dangerous."
"Not if you know how to fly a hot-air balloon."
"Which you do."
"Well, I—" Rick sighed. "Yes, I do."
"So why did you hit the steeple?"
"I don't know!"
"Because your passengers expected it! Things like that have to happen. It's all over the movies and they believe it and it happens. Just think about it: you know your balloon can't deflate like this. You know it could never get stuck on a steeple like that. We know these things, but the majority of people... They trust in movies and action and drama."
"So no steeples any more?"
Clive nodded vigorously. "No steeples."

No comments:

Post a Comment