Wednesday 20 November 2013

November Flash - Day 11

Since I was the only one participating in the November +Flash Fiction Project and that's, well, not very nice for a group project, they stopped posting pictures at this time (presumable until NaNo is over). I'd still like to continue with this, though, since I'm already in my groove. So, it's on you now.I don't like choosing my own prompts, that doesn't feel right, and therefore I'm asking YOU, anyone who would like, to send me, or comment with, or whatever else you can think of, images you'd like me to use. It can be anything at all, I'm learning not to be picky.
I'm going to work through them chronologically, because I get into difficulties if I see more than one image at the same time, but you are still welcome to send new pictures!

Now, get me writing, folks! And let me know whether or not you want to be mentioned as the suggester of the picture. And please don't forget to include attribution links.

Let the fun continue! Here is the prompt for November 11, from an article about Bartitsu my boyfriend sent me (being more or less obligated to support my endeavours):





Gabriel took the last turn at a slow jogging pace, slightly out of breath but trying not to sweat too much. Matthew was waiting for him at the main gate.
"Gabe! Where have you been, for God's sake? Sarah's having fits in there!"
He stopped in front of his best man and took a deep breath, but before he could reply Matthew was talking again.
"Why is there a dent in your top hat? Never mind, come on, everybody's waiting for you!"

Only seven minutes later, Gabriel stood before the altar and watched his soon-to-be wife walk down the aisle towards him. He smiled, and she smiled back at him, despite a slight frown.
When she had arrived at his side, Sarah leaned over to him and whispered: "Honey, why is there a dent in your top hat? Honestly, I really thought..."
The parson cleared his throat, interrupting what could have been a nice, last pre-marriage telling-off.
"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered together here today in the sign of God..."

It was evening, the feast was almost over and the guests, filled with food and drink, were talkative. Gabriel had to hit his glass rather hard to be heard above the din.
"My friends, my family, let me thank you again for celebrating this extraordinary occasion with us!
"It has been a lovely day full of merriment and happiness, especially for Sarah and myself. There's just one thing that still needs to be clarified! Throughout the day, I've been bothered by various people about the dent in my top hat. You would have thought my being late would be of more interest, but no, it's the hat you've apparently all been wondering about, probably because you think it extraordinary that we've decided to wear Victorian dresses today and then I couldn't even do that properly. I know that's what Sarah thinks, anyway." He grinned down at her and she blew him a kiss. "Nevertheless, that's not true. My outfit was perfectly fine when I set out for the church today.
"On my way, though, I was intercepted by what appeared to be three young street thugs looking for trouble. They made jokes about my tailcoat and cane, and when I tried to pass them unperturbed they blocked my way. I knew there was only one way out.
"I took my top hat by the rim, feigning a salutation, then threw it into the pack leader's face. The rim is quite stiff, you see, and when it's aimed at the eyes... Anyway, he stumbled out of the way, but then his two friends came at me from both sides. I hit one in the stomach with my cane before landing a blow in the other one's face with my fist. Both wavered, but didn't go down. Being a gentleman, I waited, ready for their next attack.
"They recovered quickly, but instead of trying again, they looked at me waving my cane nonchalantly and took to their heels. So far, this went quite as I had expected, but then one of them shouted, while running away: 'The bitch didn't tell us he could do that! She should've warned us!'
"I was still contemplating that remark when I picked up my top hat and not only noticed the dent it had suffered, but also remembered where I was bound for. I put the hat on and hurried to the church, quite forgetting the incident.
"If any one of you knows who this originator might have been, please give my thanks to her for the exercise to her. It's rare that I get a chance to test my Bartitsu on real opponents." Laughter forced him into a short break then.
"On an unrelated note, my little sister asked me to make excuses for her not being with us today, because - and here I quote - 'I don't want to have anything to do with that Victorian bullshit that woman is dragging you into.'
"Thank you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment